This fear is one that can be the most debilitating. Say for example you are an author and you’ve cracked all the other fears and finished your book.
You may even have it printed and published … but maybe it’s not selling and you’re struggling to promote it … and yourself.
This is a fear that I have experienced first hand. One of the reasons I discovered about why it affected me so much was that when I was the most financially successful in my life with two businesses, this was when I was also the most stressed.
So I directly equate success with stress and used my creative mind to avoid success at all costs.
The signs that this is happening in your life are:
- You jump on to the next project without really finishing off the last thing you were working on
- You work on behalf of other people before you get on with your own stuff
- You become a ‘busy fool’
And I am proud to say I have all these T-shirts.
Strategies for Getting over the Fear of Success
1. Redefine what success means to you – it doesn’t have to be about the financials and, of course, being successful without the associated stress is a success in its own right
2. Get in the habit of celebrating all milestones no matter how small and in what ever manner you feel, e.g. every review I get for my books, I proudly share on Twitter and Facebook
3. Have a listen to this short visualisation on Becoming Fear-less